Some may call me an obsessive dog mom but I’m really okay with that. I love my dog and yeah I am probably that crazy dog owner. If my blog name didn’t give it away, you now know. Making these homemade dog treats was on my summer bucket list which means I am able to check another activity off.😊
Lets just say I celebrated Mother’s Day because.. being a dog mom is hard work. Jacob even bought me flowers in celebration of being a dog mom.😂 Any who, I have an almost 2 year old puppy named Bumper. He is a husky/golden retriever mix and he is full of energy. There is never a dull moment with him so at least I am never bored.
I think it is extremely important that dogs get the nutrition that they need. I try my hardest to give Bumper the best and most natural food possible. Sometimes it can be really difficult and a pain to read through the labels while shopping for your dog. So why not opt to making your own dog’s treats? That way you know exactly what is in them. I have found a really easy and healthy recipe that is high in protein. Even better, I can eat them too (although a little boring in flavor) and me and my dog will just have a treat party.
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup flour (whole wheat is preferred)
- A cookie cutter (you could also roll them into balls if you do not have one)
- Set oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Knead the dough until it is all mixed together. Depending on the size of the banana, you might need to add more flour to make it less sticky (I had to add a little bit more)
- Sprinkle flour onto the counter top and then roll out the dough. Use the cookie cutter to cut out the treat.
- Place treats on baking sheet (with parchment paper) and bake for 12 -15 minutes. The crunchier they are, the more treat like they are.
Below are pictured instructions:
While making the treats, of course Bumper bopped right on over as soon as I got the peanut butter out. He was the designated spoon licker this time (But if it’s chocolate, it’s all me).
They came out looking perfect and smelled sooo good. I am also a sucker for some peanut butter so making these really made me want to make myself some peanut butter cookies.
But real question.. Why can I not be as photogenic as my dog?
Overall, he loved the treats. I think I will be making these more often. They are sooo easy and quick to whip up. Plus I always have these ingredients in my house. Yes, it may be a little “extra” but I think that he deserves it😊.
Just another FYI, he will be turning 2 in July and you better believe I am already planning his birthday party. So stay tuned for that.
I hope that you enjoyed this fun little post. I am glad I am able to check another activity off my summer bucket list. If you haven’t yet seen my bucket list, I will attach it HERE. Thank you for reading a long!